Friday, September 4, 2009

Clueless



Okay, I know boring picture, right? It's actually from spring a year ago. We have a pasture out there now, and a couple of stables and a chicken coup.



Yesterday afternoon I get a knock on my door, it's my 8 year-old neighbor. It appears he had been riding around on a mule(4 wheeler thing). He wanted to tell me that he noticed one of our goats was out. I thanked him, and closed the door. I knew the only reason one of our goats would get out is if something destroyed our electric fence, or if a big dog was chasing our goats around and scared one of them through the fence. Of course, our dear eight-year neighbor does have a very large dog, weighing in at ...well more than I do. Who, as I think about it was standing next to the boy panting. Perhaps that's why the boy looked so guilty?

We'll I had to save the free goat from the world, so I took James over to my neighbor, changed into my goat-tackling-clothes, and grabbed Ellie. When we reached the goat pasture I was surprised and delighted to see all 5 goats waiting for us. My thoughts were, "Mmmm that dog must have scared it back in again."

On with my day.....

Barry comes home and at dinner says, "Did you see what happened out there?"
"Yeah" (I said) one of the goats was out earlier, did it get out again?
(Barry) Uh Jill, maybe you should look outside again.
(I did) nothing seemed amiss from the front porch.
I came back in, "What Barry? I didn't see anything?
(Barry) Uh Jill, how many big trees do we have?
(Me, walking back outside) Uh well, three big big ones, and a few smaller..................on my goodness!

One of our huge cottonwood trees apparently had fallen over during the day (unbeknowst to me). Fortunately, only some of the top branches of it had fallen on our fence(luckily not the goats), knocking part of it over. Hence, allowing the goats to get out.

So I need to offer an apology to a very large German Shepherd with no sense of private property and a taste for our chickens. Sorry Dog! I'll catch you another time.

1 comment:

Palmer Family said...

WoW! Crazy. I'm glad only the fence got hurt.