Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The only one for me...

Last night as I was washing silk off of seemingly endless ears of corn, I was reminded of a previous time when I was doing just the same thing, and I had remarked to Barry, that some corn seemed to have so much more silk than others, and wondered why that was......... We'll (says Barry)each piece of silk leads down to a kernel of corn, the more silk the more kernels., etc, etc.
I must have missed that little tidbit in school.

Thinking back to this I had to laugh at an experience we had a few weeks ago when a door to door salesman came around selling children's encyclopedia/textbooks.

The college kid from Estonia of all places, insisted on speaking with us both at the same time... with a thick accent he explained to us the pure wonders of these very, very expensive books. At one point, he exclaimed to us that if we used these book with our children, we could learn along with them, we could learn interesting things like.....

(Salesman guy)For instances do you know why a flamingo is pink?

(Barry) Well, it's because of their diet, they feed mainly on pink crustaceans,

(Salesman guy) What is crustacean?

(Barry) shrimp

(Salesman guy, (disappointed))Ah yes, you're right, shrimp

(Salesman guy)uhhhhhh, Well do you know what a Rhino's horn is made of?

(Barry) Hair, well keratin

I began to be embarrassed for the poor guy, oh course he had to pick up the biology encyclopedia to quiz us with, when Barry has a PhD in Biology.
But you know I really don't think it would have made a difference. My husband is amazingly smart, but so humble about it. He's just so interesting to talk with. That's really what I love most about him, well besides just looking at him ;)

Oh ... and don't feel too bad for the salesman guy, I gave him a loaf of bread ............................and Barry ordered a set of books.(Ahhgrrrhhh)